September 2019 was a warm and wet month across the Northland with a few locations having a top 10 wettest September on record, and one location having a top 5 warmest September on record.
Incredible warmth last month over a large portion of the US.
September 2019 Climate Summary for Duluth, Minnesota
- Average Temperature: 59.6 degrees
- Normal: 55.6 degrees
- Departure: +4.0 degrees above normal
Highest temperature: 83 F on the 19th
Lowest temperature: 37 F on the 28th
- Total Precipitation: 5.76″
- Normal: 4.11″
- Departure: +1.65″ above normal
15 days with at least 0.01″ of precipitation
11 days with at least 0.10″ of precipitation
3 days with at least 0.50″ of precipitation
2 days with at least 1.00″ of precipitation
- Total Snowfall: 0.0″
- Normal: 0.1″
- Departure: -0.1″ below normal
7 days with thunder
Greatest 24 hour precipitation total: 1.37″ on the 9th
11 days with a high temperature of at least 70 degrees; normal is 9 days
2 days with a high temperature of at least 80 degrees; normal is 2 days.
September 2019 was the 14th warmest and 19th wettest September in station history.
September 2019 Climate Summaries from around the Northland
International Falls, Minnesota
- Average temperature: 55.8 degrees
- Departure: +2.2 degrees above normal
- Total precipitation: 6.64″
- Departure: +3.65″ above normal
- 7 days with thunder
Note: September 2019 was the 4th wettest September in station history. Wettest September on record 7.36″ set in 1961.
- Average temperature: 62.2 degrees
- Departure: +4.1 degrees above normal
- Total precipitation: 6.22″
- Departure: +3.04″ above normal
- 9 days with thunder
Note: September 2019 was the 3rd wettest September in station history. Wettest September on record 8.04″ set in 1965, tied in 1986. September 2019 was the 4th warmest September in station history. Warmest September on record 63.6 degrees set in 1931, tied in 2009.
- Average temperature: 54.3 degrees
- Departure: +1.2 degrees above normal
- Total precipitation: 5.13″
- Departure: +2.06″ above normal
- 6 days with thunder
Note: September 2019 was the 10th wettest September in station history. Wettest 8.67″ set in 1947.
- Average temperature: 59.3 degrees
- Departure: +2.6 degrees above normal
- Total precipitation: 5.27″
- Departure: +1.42″ above normal
- 5 days with thunder
September 2019 Total Precipitation. Source: https://hprcc.unl.edu
Last month’s rainfall totals in northeast Minnesota and northwest Wisconsin were anywhere from +100 to 200% above what typically falls during the month of September, while in northwest Minnesota rain totals last month were some +200-300% above normal!
September 2019 Temperature Departure