Update as of 8:04 PM Wednesday, December 23, 2020
A few snowfall reports from around the Northland via NWS Duluth, MN.
- 9 WNW Hovland, MN: 5.0″. A storm total of 8.0″ since last night.
- Blueberry, WI: 5.0″
- 3 ENE Holyoke, MN: 4.2″
- 3 N Amnicon Falls S.P. 5.8″
- 2 SW Two Harbors, MN: 5.0″
- 5:46 PM – Non-Thunderstorm Wind Damage 9 miles WSW Grand Marais, MN (Cook County) Large tree was blown over and is blocking the highway.
Radar update as of 8 PM shows the heaviest snow now southeast and east of Duluth with mainly light snow farther west. Looks like a gravity wave (black outlined area on map) induced snow band has developed just SE of Duluth as of 8 PM.
Note: A snowfall total of 4.3″ was reported at the Duluth Airport as of 7 PM. Additional snow accumulations of 1-2″ are possible by late this evening. Storm totals should end up at around 5-6″.
- 68 mph wind gust reported at Redwood Falls, MN
- 62 mph wind gust at Montevideo, MN
- 61 mph wind gust at Fairmont, MN
- Wind gusts to 70 mph reported in the Grand Marais area
- The Minnesota National Guard has been activated to open the Olivia Armory in Renville County. Blizzard conditions have left motorists stranded. The emergency manager there says visibility is near zero, roads are closing and hotels are full.
Over 1100 Minnesota Power customers are in the dark as of 7:30 PM – Link to outage map https://mnpower.com/OutageCenter/OutageMap
A few more reports as of 6:20 PM Wednesday, December 23, 2020.
- Wind gust of 55 mph reported at the Duluth Airport at 6:02 PM.
- A wind gust to nearly 60 mph (58 mph) was reported at Cloquet at 5:35 PM.
- Wind gusts to 60 mph reported in the Grand Marais area as of 6 PM.
- Duluth Sky Harbor Airport reporting wind gusts to around 50 mph.
No travel advised along Highway 61 (North Shore) per MNDOT.
Roads closed (red areas) and no travel advised (dark purple areas on image below)
Update as of 5:27 PM Wednesday, December 23, 2020.
The City of Duluth has issued a No Travel Advisory until further notice due to blizzard conditions early this evening. Travel is not advised unless it is an emergency.
A few updates as of 5:30 PM per http://@DanWolfeKBJR
- I-535 is closed in both directions between Garfield Ave. and I-35 due to crashes.
- Blatnik Bridge is closed.