4:45 PM Wednesday, December 23, 2020
- Dangerous conditions will continue across eastern Minnesota, North Shore and portions of northwest Wisconsin this evening due to the falling snow which will be heavy at times along with widespread blowing and drifting snow causing whiteout conditions. Avoid travel if you can!
- Strong NW winds will continue across the Northland tonight with winds of 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph. A few power outages are possible tonight due to the high winds.
- Temps will continue to drop tonight reaching the single digits above to teens below zero.
- Wind chills of 15 below to 30 below zero are likely tonight into Thursday morning.
- Snow will gradually taper off to light snow and flurries from SW-NE across the Northland by mid to late evening and into early Thursday morning, but heavier lake effect snow should continue into Thursday morning along the South Shore of Lake Superior in northern Wisconsin.
As I stated above, a Blizzard Warning is in effect until Midnight tonight including Grand Marais, Silver Bay, Two Harbors, Duluth, Cloquet, Moose Lake, Hinckley, Pine City, McGregor, Aitkin, Hill City, Brainerd, Walker and Cass Lake.
Radar loop from 10:38 AM to 4:37 PM CT, Wednesday, December 23, 2020.
Note: Heaviest snowfall in yellow and light green colors on animation below.
Roads are closing down due to the blizzard across southwest Minnesota (red areas on map) while travel is not advised in the dark purple areas as of 4 PM Wednesday.
Cold arctic air continues to push quickly south/east late this afternoon with temperatures in Duluth in the mid teens as of 4 PM Wednesday.
A powerful area of low pressure (987mb) will continue to lift NE out of far southeast Minnesota and far southwest Wisconsin tonight.
Here’s how much additional snow could fall tonight, but with how windy it is and will continue to be tonight, good luck measuring the snow.
Note: Duluth Airport has picked up 2.8″ of snow as of 4 PM Wednesday.
|Wind Reports from around the Northland from Noon to 3 PM, Wednesday, December 23, 2020|
Brainerd, MN: 51 mph
1 SSE Silver Bay, MN: 51 mph
Duluth Harbor: 47 mph
Cass Lake, MN: 44 mph
Cloquet, MN: 43 mph
Duluth Sky Harbor Airport: 43 mph
Grand Rapids, MN: 43 mph
Chisholm-Hibbing Airport: 43 mph
Duluth Airport: 41 mph
McGregor, MN: 39 mph
Walker, MN: 39 mph
Aitkin, MN: 36 mph
International Falls, MN: 36 mph
Moose Lake, MN: 36 mph
Grand Marais Airport: 35 mph
Hinckley, MN: 32 mph
Superior Airport: 31 mph