Severe thunderstorms producing damaging winds have resulted in numerous power outages this evening northwest of Duluth, with Lake Country Power reporting 55 outages affecting ~3800 members as of 9 PM Friday.
Zoomed in view showing multiple power outages northwest of Duluth this evening.
Here’s a zoomed out view of the Lake Country Power Outage map as of 9 PM Friday.
Minnesota Power reported 69 outages affecting nearly 800 customers as of 9 PM Friday.
Additional Storm Reports from around the Northland from Friday, July 23, 2021
- 8:42 PM: Thunderstorm Wind Damage – 1 mile SSE Culver, MN (St. Louis County) Three trees were downed 1 mile south of Highway 8 along Highway 7 with one tree completely blocking the road.
- 8:40 PM: Thunderstorm Wind Damage – 1 mile NNE Culver, MN (St. Louis County) Two trees were reported down north of Highway 8 along Highway 7.
- 7:45 PM: Thunderstorm Wind Damage – 5 miles WNW Isabella, MN (Lake County) Power lines were reported down on trees along Mitawan Lake Road northwest of Isabella.
- 6:47 PM: Thunderstorm Wind Damage – Ely, MN (St. Louis County) Tree damage in Whiteside Park. The two largest trees were Elms. One was uprooted and had a diameter of 1 foot at the base of the trunk. The second tree was 27 inches in diameter and was completely snapped off about 8 feet up. This park is also the location of the Blueberry/Arts fest which sustained significant damage to temporary tents and booths.
Thunderstorms late this afternoon and this evening have been producing areas of torrential rainfall across northern Minnesota, with those blue and purple colors on the map below representing rainfall totals anywhere from 0.50″ to nearly 2″ per radar estimates.
Rainfall Totals from Friday, July 23, 2021 (thru 9 PM)
- Ely, MN: 1.24″
- Grand Marais, MN: 0.70″
- International Falls, MN: 0.54″
- Isabella, MN: 0.37″
- Saginaw, MN: 0.16″
- Hill City, MN: 0.04″
- Bigfork, MN: 0.12″
- Littlefork, MN: 0.10″
- McGregor, MN: 0.07″
- Skibo, MN: 0.04″
- Chisholm-Hibbing Airport: 0.02″
- Grand Rapids, MN: 0.01″
- Cloquet, MN: 0.01″
Radar loop from 7:38 PM to 9:40 PM Friday, July 23, 2021.
Scattered thunderstorms (some strong) continue to move east-southeast mainly affecting east-central Minnesota generally along and south of Highway 2 in northeastern Minnesota.